I borrowed my mom's sewing machine, had her teach me the basics on it (thankfully I have used it briefly in the past, so it wasn't too steep a learning curve), and purchased some e-book patterns with color pictures and step-by-step instructions. And I read the patterns several times, as well as how-to blogs. I practiced on scrap fabric I had from when I hired someone to sew me pillowcases (oh how I wished I could take back that money knowing how easy that is!). I learned to make ruffles and practiced that.
After a couple nights of practice, I purchased some fabric and jumped right in with a dress called Scarlett. I stayed up until 3 a.m. On a work night. And the result was horrendous!
There are so many mistakes in that dress and the sizing was SO off. Note to self: don't sew when extremely tired. But, I learned! [I eventually tore this mostly apart and attempted to fix it. Now my mom has helped me turn the bottom half into a skirt, so it's not all wasted.]
I decided then to tackle a more simple pattern aptly called the Simply Sweet. I simply loved the result.
Then, I went back to my nemesis, the Scarlett! This time I used some Minnie Mouse fabric and love the result. This one is big enough to wear in Disney World in May!
I also wanted to embellish a shirt and make matching pants! This is pretty easy and is a versatile method:
And, another Simply Sweet, but this time with a shorter skirt and elastic ruffle straps. [She wore this one for school pictures, but the skirt isn't visible in the picture. boo!]
I was on a roll and having so much fun! One day at Hobby Lobby I saw a gray corduroy fabric and fell in love. I knew I had to make something for Eliza. I had a jumper pattern, and thought this would be perfect for fall. [In fact, Eliza wore these in our fall professional photo session recently!]
Then, I found a blog called Homemade Toast, where the mommy-blogger made Princess Belle and Cinderella gowns for her daughters. I was inspired and hooked. I had to try them! These dresses have been labors of love and the Belle dress still does have finishing touches left to do!
It's amazing how satisfying it is to see something come together from my own hands, and to have Eliza wear it in public. :) I'm excited to keep creating!
These are amazing! I can't believe you taught yourself, Abby! That Belle gown looks extraordinarily difficult. The patience!
ReplyDelete