Thursday, April 19, 2012

Quiche

I really enjoy a good quiche. It's a go-to brunch item that I order at restaurants.  I also made it for 2010 Christmas.  Awhile back we had some diced pancetta and gruyere cheese leftover from another recipe, and I decided it'd be useful for a quiche.  I had one small hurdle:  I needed a pie crust and had no butter or shortening.  And I didn't want to go to the store on a Saturday morning.  Thankfully, we have this thing called Google.  I found an oil and milk pie crust recipe from Saveur: found here.  Score!
Over all the flavor of the crust when baked was not as yummy as a traditional crust, but it was SO easy to work with and roll out.  I then just looked at some quiche recipes to figure out the ratio of ingredients and added our own to it: cooked pancetta, cooked onions, shredded gruyere cheese.
Then of course I added the egg mixture and baked it.  Notice I didn't even attempt a design for my pie crust edges.  In retrospect this ended up made me wishing I had because the thin edge was so brittle when baked.  Anyway, it turned out pretty yummy in the end, even though I only had skim milk on hand, and really should have used cream.

 
What have you cooked up lately?

1 comment:

  1. Mmm...that sounds so yummy!! I love making quiche!!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.